15 September 2010

Packing

Tomorrow we are doing a bag check during class time, so I've got stuff strewn all around the apartment, mad lists of things to pack, things to buy, things to borrow. I just received a replacement hose for my water filter (which was chewed up by an overzealous marmot on my last summer excursion with Dad to Pioneer Peak - goofy rodent barged into the tent while we were summiting and chewed up the water filter hose), but now I don't think I'll even be taking the water filter. I'm trying to cut down on weight, which is always hard for me. But I need deodorant, and face wash, and three changes of clothes! No, you really don't. Well, maybe the deodorant. My pack just keeps getting heavier and heavier; I took everything out and started over, with a minimalist attitude firmly in place. Okay. Out with the polarfleece pants. This will be the first time I've backpacked without them, but this isn't Alaska, this is Michigan. No mountains here. Out with a couple of extra layers. It's hard to believe how stressful packing is, yet how exciting it is. Just think: In 48 hours we'll be out under the trees and the stars with no homework or cell phones. Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment